Side plot Part 1:(excuse for birdiecabbage)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Side plot Part 1:(excuse for birdiecabbage)

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Kail watched him closely as he picked up on the stern tone in the others voice. He didn't care what the other thought. As grateful as he was for the others help so far he didn't need the help. "I don't need help," he repeated. "If I take too long and they find me, so be it; I'll be killed anyway." Tensing up as Raven kneeled next to the body, Kail nodded a bit "My family use to live on a farm, I've dug more than one in my life." Taking one of the shovels, the brunet shook his head once more "I don't need any help, I need to do this myself," he said, resting the end of the shovel in the ground for the time being. "He was more than just a friend, and I'm the reason this happened. I appreciate the offer and all, and the help you've given me so far, but I can't accept this help." He nodded his head in the direction of the trees. "I'm not going to go that far, just far enough in they won't see me digging. You don't have to worry about me running off." Carefully picking up the body, he grabbed the shovel the best he could before starting into the woods a ways to start digging the grave.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Thu May 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Raven said nothing as the other refused his help a second time, feeling worry and annoyance prickle his chest. Help or not, he wasn't going to let the other wander the forest alone and act so stupidly. "They'll kill you. And then they'll feed him to the dogs." He retorted, his voice low as he stood up, walking past the brunet. He understood the other's pain and protectiveness over his friend, and if he wanted to do everything himself, then fine, but he wasn't going to stand by and let the other get himself killed and Raven beaten. "There's a better place than here." He added quietly, walking into the trees and waiting for the other to either follow or ignore him.
He walked a short distance before breaking into an open stretch of clearing. Above them hung lifeless power-lines and transmission towers, leading far off into the forest. The ground here was open, and far less crowded with roots and trees.
Kazukedud
Admin

View user profile http://kedud.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 7:05 pm

"Let them kill me," Kail replied simply, looking up as he heard the other walk past him. "Let them feed us both to the dogs, I don't care. But as long as I'm alive, that's not going to happen." Going back to starting the grave, he stopped briefly when it was mentioned there was a better place. He had only stopped here so he wouldn't be that far off from the camp in order to return quickly before anyone realized he was gone. Hesitating, he let out a sigh before picking the body up once more and silently following after him. He knew that the other likely knew the area better.
Once they came to the clearing, he looked around a little. He was hoping with the spot he had originally picked he would be able to stop and visit but supposed now everyone else would think something was up. Here was far enough away that if he got the chance to sneak off for a bit it was less likely they'd see him unless anyone was out and about.
Resting Yuki up against a tree for now, he chose a spot to start digging, stopping for a moment to glance at Raven. "Thank you.." he said quietly. "I can find my way back from here when I'm done. I'll be back before anyone's awake in the morning."

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Thu May 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Raven nodded without looking at the other. He hesitated to leave for a moment, unsure of the other's safety out here, but gave a brief look around before setting the knife Horatio had given him at the other's side. There were wild animals out here and worse, people. "If you come back, go to my tent." He instructed quietly, then turned to head back to the camp, trucking into the trees only to glance back at the other again. "I'm sorry." He added softly, turning back and disappearing into the dark forest. He felt intensely nervous; if the other ran off he'd be in for it, and even if he did come back for some reason, there was the issue of the dogs. Maybe Horatio wouldn't check? But it was unlikely. He circled around once in the darkness to check on the other and make sure he didn't try to take off, but he wasn't sure if he even planned to stop him. He wasn't even sure why he was doing this; he was already risking Horatio's wrath for the other, and no matter what he did, he doubted he could save the boy. He'd just be like everyone else. 

He wandered away from the camp, into the streets, and searched until he found the remains of cloth and old bones sticking out of the grass in a swampy ditch, and steeled himself before getting to work. 
When he was done he wandered away from the hounds, the sound of gnawing and cracking making his heart flutter and his stomach turn. He lost himself scrubbing his hands to the point of pain in the icy brook at the edge of the woods. They were numb at this point, but he couldn't bring himself to stop, his breath catching in his throat in half-silent sobs as he tried not to panic.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Kail looked towards the knife as it was set down, lifting his gaze to look at the other briefly, nodding slightly as he was told to go to the tent. He did plan on returning to the camp, not wanting to risk trying to run off, but he'd likely stay on the outskirts so he didn't have to worry about being snapped at. He didn't want to take over the others tent either, knowing it wasn't that big in the first place. As he started to dig up the ground, the brunet simply shrugged as he heard the apology. He knew there wasn't much the other could have done to save the now dead boy. A part of him knew he couldn't have done much either to save him but he couldn't not blame himself. If he had just listened to the older man he'd still be around. Not that he'd speak out about it now, but Kail was aware that Yuki would have been much more use than he was. The other was healthier than he was, not having a breathing problem and was able to protect the two of them better than Kail ever could have. Shaking his head to try and clear his mind, he tried to focus on the digging.

Hours later, the boy finally finished burying his companion. His eyes stung from the sobbing he had done but he didn't really care. He had originally started towards the camp before stopping himself, realizing how much blood he had on him. Unsure if he'd run into anyone to help him back, Kail used the knife to make small marks on some trees to lead him back to the clearing. It wouldn't be to bad to get back from there, but it was finding his way back to the clearing from wherever he ended up finding water that worried him.
Finding his way to brook, he had knelt down alongside it to try and clean himself up, noticing Raven a little ways down. He hesitated before standing and moving towards him. He carefully set the knife down next to him, moving back a little bit "Thank you..."

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Raven jumped when he noticed the other, glancing up briefly before looking back down at his hands, continuing to wash them and nodding quickly, trying to compose himself. He dried his hands on his pants quickly and took the knife, fitting it back into his belt as he stood. He was still wary of the other and ready to fight if he tried anything, but was rather confused by his passivity. When he'd be caught, he'd fought back and tried to run several times, to the point where Horatio still kept an eye on him. He gestured for the other to follow, and walked off, leading him back to his tent. "S-stay here until y-you find something of your own." He told the other quietly as they wandered between the other tents and sleeping camp-mates. "I-I'll be...I'll be busy tonight anyway." He assured, remembering Horatio's request to find him later. Hesitating, he glanced over at the other again. "My-uh, I'm Raven." He added softly.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Kneeling down next to the water he worked on cleaning himself up the best he could. He'd come back tomorrow if he got the chance to scrub down better. Not that he'd get much sleep that night he didn't want to be caught away from the camp. When he noticed the other motion for him to follow, Kail stood and followed, thankful for the way back to the camp without getting lost. He blinked a bit as Raven said to take his tent, a bit taken aback. Whatever he was busy with the rest of the night he was sure that he'd want to rest in the morning when he was finished. He doubted Horatio wanted him to have any sort of shelter anyway, he hadn't exactly been compliant when they had first been caught. He wasn't going to argue though, once the other was gone he could slip off back to the edge of the camp. It wasn't like he'd be able to sleep anyway and it wouldn't have been the first night he'd slept out in the open. At least there were some trees on the outskirt to sit under. He dipped his head slightly as he introduced himself "I'm Kail," he replied quietly.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 pm

"I'll find you here in the morning, show you stuff." Raven told him tiredly, looking around and taking a step closer to Kail to whisper to the brunet. "There's a wooden knife, under the sleeping bag...I-If anyone bothers you." He informed the other. He'd cut the thing out a while ago to protect himself, though if Horatio found out he doubted it would go over well. With that, he headed off to find the man, walking towards the dying light of the campfire.

Just before dawn, Raven returned to his tent, opening it as quietly as possible and slipping inside. Without much thought, he crumpled onto his bedroll in exhaustion. Horatio had taken the knife back, but he was too tired to be wary of Kail, and passed out almost immediately, facing away from the brunet.
He woke up less than an hour later, curled on his side, feeling achy, groggy and tired. After a few moments, he pushed himself up into a sitting position and glanced over towards Kail to see if the other was awake. He was not looking forward to today. He had dark rings under his eyes, and his hair was a tangled mess, his face a little paler than normal with his exhaustion.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Kail nodded a bit as he was told he'd find him here in the morning. He hadn't wanted to stay inside, but didn't want to make the other think he had sneaked off while he wasn't being watched. The last thing he needed was Horatio or anyone else coming after him if no one could find him in the morning. As he was told about the knife, he nodded once more "Thanks..." he said softly, hoping he wouldn't have to use it.
After Raven had left, he laid down on the ground on the far side of the tent, not that it was that big to begin with. He didn't want to be too much of a burden to the other.

Like he thought, Kail hadn't been able to sleep for longer than a few minutes, so he heard when Raven came back to the tent. He carefully scooted closer to the outside of the tent, wanting to give the sleeping boy as much room as he could.
Laying on his back, Kail stared at the top of the tent. He didn't want to leave now that the other was there, not wanting to wake him up. Hearing him sit up, he glanced over at him, a small frown on his face. "I can leave if you can't sleep," he said quietly, not sure if he was the reason the other was awake. He doubted the other had slept long enough to make up for being up most of the night. He sat up as well, ready to leave if he wasn't wanted in the tent.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Thu May 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Raven shook his head, closing his eyes and leaning a little into the side of the tent, running a hand through his hair. "S'ok. Itsa' birds." He mumbled, listening to the chirping and calling above and around the camp. It sounded beautiful, but at the same time, he could never sleep past dawn with them around, and he felt too uneasy after last night to sleep well anyway. He took a deep breath and straightened up, finding the shiv and slipping it into his right boot and tying them tightly. "Let's get breakfast." He suggested quietly, standing and leaving the tent, holding the door open for Kail.
"Stick close to me today, okay?" He asked softly, leading the other towards the center of Camp, where a couple others were working on getting the fire going again.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Thu May 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Kail nodded slowly as he was told it was the birds keeping him awake. It made sense with how loud they sounded. He just didn't want the other worrying about him trying to kill him or something in the middle of him sleeping. Watching as he stood up, the brunet scrambled a bit to get up, not wanting to make Raven wait for him. While food sounded good, he wasn't sure he'd be able to stomach it. Not only that, but he knew after how the other two with Horatio had reacted last night, he'd have to eat part of Raven's food. He doubted they all got much to begin with and didn't want to starve the other boy.
Following behind him towards the center of Camp, he nodded a bit as he looked around cautiously "Of course.." he replied, having planned on it anyway. He didn't want to give anyone a reason to hate him even more than they likely did.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 am

Raven walked over to the camp fire, glancing around to see how things were going. Connor had the flames started, while the girl from last night was pouring a box of oats and brook water into the pot. As they approached, she glared at both of them, but Raven ignored her, kneeling to help Connor stoke the fire. The girl looked equally tired and grumpy, and looked as though she was waiting to take it out on someone. 
"I said I'm not feeding him." She muttered, glaring at Raven.
The boy said nothing, standing up and brushing his hands off. 
"He'll be dead in a week. Not wasting food on him. Did you even ask Horatio?"
"He's in the group now, everyone in the group eats." Connor stated matter-of-factly, jabbing at the fire and glancing at the girl with steely blue eyes. "You want him fainting on watch?"
"I don't want another useless mouth to feed, like Horatio's bitch there." She stared back at Raven this time, who said nothing still, glancing back at the treeline.
"Oh shut up Marta, go complain to Horatio, it's too damn early for this." Connor growled, jabbing the fire harder and knocking it out of position, cursing. 
"we'll look for blackberries, for the oatmeal." Raven told them quietly, not wanting to hang around and listen to them argue. 
Conner grunted in acknowledgement, but stayed focused on the fire. 
Raven headed away from the fire, motioning for Kail for follow, and heading off to the opposite treeline.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Fri May 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Kail followed close behind Raven, almost as if he was trying to hide behind the shorter male. He was well aware the girl, and most likely everyone else, had some sort of hatred for him. As the bickering started between the two of them, he dropped his gaze to the ground. He wanted to speak up, to let them know they didn't have to feed him but also didn't want to make things any worse then they already seemed to be.
He nodded slightly as Raven motioned for him to follow, walking quickly behind him. Once far enough away from the fire and into the tree line, he glanced over at the other "If it's that much of a hassle, I don't have to eat..." he said quietly. He was certain the other would argue against it, but he didn't want to cause anymore trouble for him. "I uh.. know I haven't really earned it.. and I'm really just an outsider to you all still.." It wouldn't be the first day he had gone without a meal but he really wasn't too concerned about it.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 pm

Raven shook his head at the other's words. "No. Horatio kept you, you're part of the group now, and you need to eat if you're going to work." He told the other, heading into the forest to where he'd seen the plants. After a few moments. he hesitated, glancing back at the other. "You're not like me, you're strong, if you work hard, if you're loyal, you can survive here. Make yourself useful and don't show weakness, dont let them push you around." He stated, trying to explain things a bit for the other's sake. He hated this place, hated the people for what they'd done to him, to Pel, but he couldn't escape, and he wasn't strong, he'd be dead if it wasn't for Horatio. Kail might have a chance, maybe. "Dont question Horatio... but the others, fight back if you can, or they'll walk all over you. If you have any skills- hunting, tracking, combat, architecture, put them to use, everyone has a job here, something like that will give you a foot hold." He added, glancing around for the bushes along the clearing they'd reached. Away from the camp, the boy looked a bit less nervous, but he was far from relaxed. 
He removed a bag from his pack and set it down, reaching into the briers to collect the black berries, and waiting for any questions the other might have.
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 pm

"He only kept me because you spoke up," Kail pointed out, following behind him into the forest. He was well aware that had Raven not wandered over to the edge of the camp he likely wouldn't have made it. He wasn't angry of course at the way the other two had reacted. While it was apparent the group wasn't against attacking other's for food or anything else they may have, food didn't last that long even with only a few people. He wasn't going to argue though, too exhausted from the previous day and lack of sleep.
He nodded slowly as Raven started to speak once more. He had kind of picked up on not to question Horatio, figuring things would have been a little different the night before if it had been even remotely okay to question him. Once arriving to the bushes, Kail started to help pick off the blackberries, staying silent for a moment. "I can hunt, but I doubt anyone, let alone Horatio, would trust me with a weapon," he pointed out. "Even if I'm apart of the group now I know no one would trust me that quickly." Even while Raven had been nice enough to him compared to everyone else, it hadn't been hard to pick up on the wariness from the other. Not that he blamed anyone, even he and Yuki had been the same towards the two others that had joined up with them in the beginning even if they weren't hostile towards them.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Raven listened to the other quietly, pulling the berries from the bushes and dropping them carefully in the bag. He couldn't understand how the other was being so calm and accepting of his situation, it made him uncertain. Maybe the other was still in some state of shock? He gave a short nod in response, staring down at the foliage. "You haven't fought back yet. You've been alone with me, and I'm half your size, you could have tried to kill me or knock me out and run already if you wanted to." He glanced up then. "If you want to run, I wont stop you." He added quietly, before looking back to the briers. "These people are killers. You and your friends aren't the first and they won't be the last." He warned, suddenly growing tense again. "I can't leave here, I've nowhere to go. They murdered my friend- and now I'm with them, I don't know what else to do, Horatio would find me, I-" He trailed off then, taking a breath and tugging a few more berries free. "You can still go, there's others out there." Raven whispered finally. "You don't have to be one of them."
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Sat May 06, 2017 12:21 am

Kail stayed silent as he went back to picking the berries. He wasn't sure how many they wanted brought back, or how many Raven planned on bringing but figured it was best to pick until the other was finished. He glanced over at the other and shook his head "I don't fight unless I need to," he replied softly. "Besides, I have no reason to fight you. You've been nothing but nice to me since we were caught when you have no reason to be." He knew he hadn't done anything to deserve it, and he hadn't exactly been passive when the group had first caught up to them. He watched the other for a moment as he said he could run, not sure if he actually meant it. He shook his head slightly after a moment "I don't plan on turning into one of them," he promised. "But I have no where else to go either. I can hunt, sure. But I'm not the strongest fighter either. Yuki's what kept us alive this long," he admitted, looking down for a moment. "Beside, I doubt they'd take lightly in knowing I ran off, or that you let me."

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Sat May 06, 2017 11:16 am

Raven didn't reply at first, but continued gathering berries for a few minutes more, moving along the bushes. They were more bare than anything, but some were better than none, and with winter coming, this might be the last fruit they'd find for a while.
He turned to reply to Kail when he heard a shuffling noise a few yards away.
He turned slowly, terrified for a second it might be a bear, wolf or cougar, but it was only a rabbit, nestled low against the leaf fall, it's feet fluffed with the beginnings of a winter coat, sniffing cautiously at the remaining grass and ferns poking up through the forest floor. 
Raven relaxed a little, lowering himself into a crouch and watching the creature quietly,  a hint of a smile on his face for a moment, until the animal became aware of them and hurried away in the direction of the brook. 
He gathered the bag of berries up and stood then, nodding a little, his face serious again as he headed back towards the camp.
When they had returned, Raven handed the bag to Connor, who poured the berries into the oatmeal, grunting in thanks. 
Raven sat down on one of the logs next to the fire, moving to the side to Kail could sit beside him, then watching the morning sky quietly. He still felt awful, but at least it was a peaceful day so far.

Horatio strode up a few minutes later, grinning widely at the two, yet his face held no warmth as he came to sit close next to Raven. "G'Morning, you settling in there? Er.."
"Kail." Raven said softly, his tone no more friendly than Horatio's smile. Horatio frowned at him for moment before continuing. 
"Kail.  Did you sleep well? You've got a lot to get done today."
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Kail went back to focusing on the berries as the other stayed quiet. He wasn't even sure how many to pick off of the bush. With winter coming it wouldn't be long before whatever was left died off for the season, and as hungry as everyone likely was back at the camp he doubted they'd go to waste.
Tensing at the noise, he glanced over his shoulder to see where it was coming from. He was thankful to see that it wasn't some sort of predator knowing they wouldn't have been able to make it out unharmed if not worse. He watched as Raven crouched down to watch it, only turning himself a little as to not spook it.
Watching as it ran off, Kail glanced over at Raven as he picked the bag up and started to walk off. He debated on turning and walking off the other way but knew he had no chance of surviving off on his own then and there. Whatever he had had the day before had been taken from him, leaving him with no weapon or anything. So instead, he followed the other back to camp silently.
Once back to the camp, he kept his line of sigh forward and towards the ground. If everyone else was as irritable as the girl, he didn't want to accidentally piss anyone off, even by looking around. Taking as little room as he could, Kail sat on the edge of the log and stared down at the fire.

Having noticed Horatio making his way towards the fire, the brunet had hoped he wouldn't speak to him. Holding in a sigh when his wishes went unfulfilled, he briefly glanced over at the other and shrugged a shoulder "As well as I could have," he replied simply, turning his attention back to the flames.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 pm

"Ah well, we'll have give you a nice warm bed in the store eh? Maybe then you'll feel at home." Horatio taunted, his voice a sneer. He stood then, taking two bowls and passing one to Kail and the other to Raven. "Eat, you'll need it; you get to clean out the dogs; scrape up your friend, and then you can get to work clearing out the store and cooking for dinner." Horatio took his own bowl and sat back, grinning at Kail still, curious what it would take to get the other angry.
"He can hunt." Raven spoke up, tense and hoping to save the brunet from the unpleasant tasks. If Horatio knew he was valuable, maybe he would spare him the dirty work.
"Oh, can you?" Horatio asked with a smirk. "You good with a gun?
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FictionalPieces on Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Kail shrugged as the other attempted to taunt him. The brunet had grown far too use to the harsh words of others long before things had turned to shit so it didn't bother him much. He quietly thanked him as he was handed the bowl of food. Cleaning out the dogs didn't bother him, he was use to working on a farm, and as gross as cleaning up a dead body he wasn't as worried about it knowing it wasn't Yuki.
As Raven spoke up, Kail tensed a bit himself. He didn't mind hunting, having learned from a young age, he just didn't want to even think about what else the other would try and get him to do with a gun. "I like to think I'm decent with one.." he replied quietly, picking at the oatmeal. "We lived on a farm, so we didn't have to hunt often," he explained, "But we did the few months the animals were growing.." He fell silent then, unsure how much to say. He doubted the other really cared too much and he didn't want to ramble on and piss either of them off.

FictionalPieces
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazukedud on Tue May 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Horatio grinned at this information. "Well, looks like you made a good call yesterday." He told Raven, leaning over to wrap his arm around the other's shoulders and kiss him on the side of the head. 
The dark haired boy remained stiff and unhappy looking at his words, only glancing quietly at the fire and leaving the oatmeal untouched in his lap as Horatio continued on, looking at Kail with curiosity in his blue eyes. "No hard feelings about last night, ya know, we've only got so much to go around, and I need men who will do what I say when I say, you know? You could be a provider, Kail." Horatio told him, taking his arm from around Raven and leaning forward to speak seriously to the other. "We need people who can protect us from other people. People who can fight. Not like uh, like Raven here, or that other boy from last night," He laughed. "They're no better than women, good for uh, cooking, picking berries, washing clothes, sex, backstabbing, crying." He went on, waving his hand about in a dismissive manner. "Can't trust em."
Raven said nothing, staring into the oatmeal, while Marta glared at Horatio until he looked at her, and she glanced back down, her face flushed with anger. "Can I trust you, Kail?"
Kazukedud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top